Monday, August 14, 2006

Adverts & product lines here in the US of W

Ok, first of all, please accept my apologies for a lack of communication.

Following on from Frankie's excellent commentary on adverts in the UK, I was forced to remember just how frustrated I get with the dire adverts here. However, It goes beyond adverts to the products themselves. Here I give an INTRODUCTION to this issue. Though I used several examples, it really is just the tip of the iceberg...

Ok, an introduction: Americans have a funny way of changing brand names, though it's clear that they're the same of what we have in UK. Hence 'Lynx is 'Axe', milky way is 'musketeer', and Wilkinson Sword is 'schick'.


Anyway I digress. They also have brands that are not UK brands under a pseudonym...

Americans also have a knack of giving brands or products just utterly silly names. As an examplar let me introduce to you "Otis Spunkmayer Muffins". Their tag of "oh so good" just makes it even more wrong. "what flavour muffing would you like sir?" "Hmm, well let me think... Salt?"


They also have sweets called 'Nips':

I am particularly pleased to find out that although they have different flavours of this product, they also do a variety bag. I'm partial to different types of Nips you see, depending on my mood.

However, that isn't the worst one. They have a washing-up detergent named "Dawn", which I consider to be a somewhat spurious name for the average dish de-greaser. Watch their advert:

http://www.homemadesimple.com/en_US/dawn/directfoam/usage.do
Click on "watch the Dawn Direct Foam TV commercial" (wish speakers on).

Yes that's right, they do indeed claim that "A pump of Dawn makes everything clean"... My wife refused my offer of employing Dawn's services, even when I offered to wash up. I also note that Dawn has a new product line. I'm not quite sure what it is meant to do, though apparently they did research in Tom's bathroom.



3 Comments:

Blogger Tombola said...

hahaha

nice work. You can pick up an Otis Spunkmeyer muffin in the Leeds Union by the way.

Fuckfuckfuck....I got something really funny like those in Croatia and I can't remember what it was called! Shit! I had pinned it on the wall and everything. It's probbaly kicking about it in a box somewhere. Dammit!

5:39 AM  
Blogger frankien said...

aggh! your blog doesnt like me and wouldnt post my comment! I also commented on otis muffins in the refectory, next to the fabulous bakin' boys things.

then I said that abroad you can buy the following: sweets that are meant to be boobs and bird poos. a drink called pschit in france, and also dickmilch and craps.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Lord G said...

Yeah for some reason this page is being shit. I know about the ones from overseas, but typically they don't speak english. Then again, they don't here..

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home