Stuff.... & Hold the Salad.
Sorry for being away... Those people at work are making me work (I know, how inconsiderate it is of them).
Anyway, I have a few postings to make. This one consists of a few stuck together, and is nothing more than a few thoughts on my take of the world (as most are). Hence, they are divided up.
Patriotism
I think this one is for 4D only, though anyone else can comment too. My point here is that it takes being somewhere else for a while to become truly patriotic about Britain. Here I don't mean supporting England in the WC; rather, I mean actually being proud of where you're from for a range of things, from the better parts of our history (providing industry, most of the world's sports, most basics of science and engineering... to the world) to the ideosynchrasis that are very meaningful - such as pub culture and our sense of humour..... Thoughts?
Hold the Salad
We were down at the beach a few weeks ago, and the only place we could go for breakfast was the resplendant eatery that is known as Ihop. For those of you that are unaware of this establishment, I should point out that Ihop is actually an accronym for 'International Home of the Pancake'. I suspect that International in this case is in a similar for as the World Series of Baseball. The stock product in this place is pancakes and syrup, and is available will a broad range of artery-choking items. Whilst others salivate at the menu, I look for something that is at least edible. For the record - I swapped the pancakes for the 'wheat toast' - that's brown bread to us.
Ok, I realise I have to get to the point, otherwise this will be on the same quantity:quality of one of Tombola's postings ;-)
I was casually observing the lady of a couple sat across from us. This lady could be described as 'big' by my polite mother. I however would be more specific. She was of impressive girth, tall around the waist, particularly rotund. To summarise, she was a fat fucker. I had a thought that caused us to consider the issue for a few minutes afterwards, with various implications. My thought centred on the practice in pubs of not serving someone who has clearly had to much falling down water. The implication here is should this practice be adopted elsewhere, when the purchaser is risking their own health, or potentially causing health problems to others. The obvious thought here was that the waitress in Ihop, if really caring about her customer (and of course they claim to), should really have said "I think you've had a bit much already, don't you?"
This can be applied to other areas and other products, such as the man buying fags whilst hacking up half a litre of phlegm to chew upon, or the conscientious drug dealer upon seeing the proposed recipient and realising that they have nothing in their head but fluff. Ok, potentially i'm going a bit to far with the latter, but shouldn't this principal still hold true? If not, why doesn't it? Do we only care about immediate consequences (e.g., the drunk) and not the more convoluted path to distruction that the lard-arse chooses?
You'll now realise that the sub-title was a bit of misdirection. - I was referring more to the locals' protensity to dodge the salad, rather than my proposed strategy to increase world health.
Pics
Just two for you today. Though this one is badly over-exposed (P had to take it quickly, though not realising that I'd been fettling with the camera and had changed the settings), I think it's safe to say that the Sarasota County Transport should have been more thoughtful when it came to their chosen accronym.

This one is just to make anyone jealous if the weather isn't nice there. For the record, this was about 8am, and soon became not very pleasant at all. You'll note that I'm actually pointing out the b52-like brown pelicans that fly around at the beach. Huge feckers they are. I like them.

I do have another post to come, so watch this space over the weekend. I intend to make it hugely faciltatory to those desiring procrastination.
Laters taters.
Anyway, I have a few postings to make. This one consists of a few stuck together, and is nothing more than a few thoughts on my take of the world (as most are). Hence, they are divided up.
Patriotism
I think this one is for 4D only, though anyone else can comment too. My point here is that it takes being somewhere else for a while to become truly patriotic about Britain. Here I don't mean supporting England in the WC; rather, I mean actually being proud of where you're from for a range of things, from the better parts of our history (providing industry, most of the world's sports, most basics of science and engineering... to the world) to the ideosynchrasis that are very meaningful - such as pub culture and our sense of humour..... Thoughts?
Hold the Salad
We were down at the beach a few weeks ago, and the only place we could go for breakfast was the resplendant eatery that is known as Ihop. For those of you that are unaware of this establishment, I should point out that Ihop is actually an accronym for 'International Home of the Pancake'. I suspect that International in this case is in a similar for as the World Series of Baseball. The stock product in this place is pancakes and syrup, and is available will a broad range of artery-choking items. Whilst others salivate at the menu, I look for something that is at least edible. For the record - I swapped the pancakes for the 'wheat toast' - that's brown bread to us.
Ok, I realise I have to get to the point, otherwise this will be on the same quantity:quality of one of Tombola's postings ;-)
I was casually observing the lady of a couple sat across from us. This lady could be described as 'big' by my polite mother. I however would be more specific. She was of impressive girth, tall around the waist, particularly rotund. To summarise, she was a fat fucker. I had a thought that caused us to consider the issue for a few minutes afterwards, with various implications. My thought centred on the practice in pubs of not serving someone who has clearly had to much falling down water. The implication here is should this practice be adopted elsewhere, when the purchaser is risking their own health, or potentially causing health problems to others. The obvious thought here was that the waitress in Ihop, if really caring about her customer (and of course they claim to), should really have said "I think you've had a bit much already, don't you?"
This can be applied to other areas and other products, such as the man buying fags whilst hacking up half a litre of phlegm to chew upon, or the conscientious drug dealer upon seeing the proposed recipient and realising that they have nothing in their head but fluff. Ok, potentially i'm going a bit to far with the latter, but shouldn't this principal still hold true? If not, why doesn't it? Do we only care about immediate consequences (e.g., the drunk) and not the more convoluted path to distruction that the lard-arse chooses?
You'll now realise that the sub-title was a bit of misdirection. - I was referring more to the locals' protensity to dodge the salad, rather than my proposed strategy to increase world health.
Pics
Just two for you today. Though this one is badly over-exposed (P had to take it quickly, though not realising that I'd been fettling with the camera and had changed the settings), I think it's safe to say that the Sarasota County Transport should have been more thoughtful when it came to their chosen accronym.

This one is just to make anyone jealous if the weather isn't nice there. For the record, this was about 8am, and soon became not very pleasant at all. You'll note that I'm actually pointing out the b52-like brown pelicans that fly around at the beach. Huge feckers they are. I like them.

I do have another post to come, so watch this space over the weekend. I intend to make it hugely faciltatory to those desiring procrastination.
Laters taters.


9 Comments:
I also support England when on the toilet.
Genious
Just saw your profile. Philosopher?
Don't you ever read my blog? Pah!
Maybe you overwhelmed people with your multi-topic blog attack. Perhaps you should have rationed them, maybe teasing us with one a day. I would have done that. And then smugly banged on for ages about how many new entries I was farting out. Learn from the 'bola.
Ebola is a virus. You're the new Kenny. Touche
Patriotism is a funny concept mate! I am not at all patriotic towards Wheelchair Britania. I feel extremely patriotic to Yorkshire however. Moving abroad made me aware of how much I would miss all the stuff I knew I would!!
Aint sure about the fat stuff. There is an argument to say that if theyre fat let em get on with it and then get em out of the way, akin to the give all junkies heaps of heroin argument. My greivance is with fatties on planes who get the same baggage allowance as me.. I recon it should be a cumulative weight (bags + body) and then I would take all my gear I wanbt without being penalised where as tubs tubson would only be allowed a small face towel!!
I'm with you in theory on the 'you've had too much' argument. Although people would complain about the nanny state controlling what people can and can't do, I think it's fair enough in a state such as the UK where the majority of fat people will be having lard-related maladies treated on the NHS. But then I also believe that smokers should pay a surcharge (on top of the tax they already pay on cigarettes) for their impact on themselves and others. Maybe you'd have more of an issue in the US where healthcare is wholly privatised and people would be able to say, "I'm paying for my treatment, so let me make my health as bad as I want... could I have mayo with that?".
Not sure if I'm being horribly fascistic here. After all, I wouldn't ask someone with congenital problems to pay an NHS surcharge cos they'll need more treatment over the course of their lives. Maybe it comes down to whether people are willfully harming themselves or not, but I'm not sure. Difficult one really.
Thanks for the serious comments Ak. Good stuff.
Post a Comment
<< Home