Reflections on "St Patties" day....
Firstly, may I say that "St Patties" is just wrong. Everyone knows, or at least should, that it's paddy's...
Ok, now for the main contention of my post. It's come to our collective notice ('our' meaning the great minds of mine and the wife) that Americans are a little bit of a contradiction. On one hand, it's all "USA!" and people displaying "god save America", "god save our troops" and "US Marine Core, Retired" stickers in their car. In other words, they are openly proud about their homeland. I won't digress too much into speculating that it' may be related to not many of them know the first thing about anything abroad. However, I don't think this statement is entirely false.... Recently, someone asked me if Britain uses the US Dollar. I'd also go as far as to say that most people think that 'Java' IS solely a euphemism for coffee, rather than a large island that makes up a substantial proportion of Indonesia.
Ok, back on track... on the other hand, it appears that everyone goes out of their way to claim that they are anything but American. Apparently, this is because that they are all forced to research their family tree to track their heritage. However, it puzzles me in all honesty. Literally, I've had people describe themselves as "Irish" to me, even when it is clear that they are American. They sound and look american (i.e., the same clone-like dress sense as everyone else that shops at Old Navy, etc etc), and appear not to have one iota of irish-ness about them. I'm not having a go at people with an Irish heritage by the way - I have Irish friends, and would love to go there. In fact, I can't think of anyone Irish that I dislike.
So here are my issues - firstly, I wonder what real Irish people think to these assertions, when a spoilt mommy's boy with his Ford Mustang and cloned friends claims that he is Irish...
Secondly, I want to know at what point people account for "America" in their heritage. One example - I heard someone say that they are half Irish, half German, a quarter Russian, and quarter Puerto Rican. Now, not only does this make them apparently 1.5 people (then again, for most people here, that makes sense), but it also makes them apparently 'zero American'....
So then, when do people stop being entirely the products of their ancestors, and start being the country of their birth? Also, how does one reconcile being half Irish, half German, a quarter Russian, and quarter Puerto Rican, with being so strongly "USA" when it comes to patriotism?
Ok, now for the main contention of my post. It's come to our collective notice ('our' meaning the great minds of mine and the wife) that Americans are a little bit of a contradiction. On one hand, it's all "USA!" and people displaying "god save America", "god save our troops" and "US Marine Core, Retired" stickers in their car. In other words, they are openly proud about their homeland. I won't digress too much into speculating that it' may be related to not many of them know the first thing about anything abroad. However, I don't think this statement is entirely false.... Recently, someone asked me if Britain uses the US Dollar. I'd also go as far as to say that most people think that 'Java' IS solely a euphemism for coffee, rather than a large island that makes up a substantial proportion of Indonesia.
Ok, back on track... on the other hand, it appears that everyone goes out of their way to claim that they are anything but American. Apparently, this is because that they are all forced to research their family tree to track their heritage. However, it puzzles me in all honesty. Literally, I've had people describe themselves as "Irish" to me, even when it is clear that they are American. They sound and look american (i.e., the same clone-like dress sense as everyone else that shops at Old Navy, etc etc), and appear not to have one iota of irish-ness about them. I'm not having a go at people with an Irish heritage by the way - I have Irish friends, and would love to go there. In fact, I can't think of anyone Irish that I dislike.
So here are my issues - firstly, I wonder what real Irish people think to these assertions, when a spoilt mommy's boy with his Ford Mustang and cloned friends claims that he is Irish...
Secondly, I want to know at what point people account for "America" in their heritage. One example - I heard someone say that they are half Irish, half German, a quarter Russian, and quarter Puerto Rican. Now, not only does this make them apparently 1.5 people (then again, for most people here, that makes sense), but it also makes them apparently 'zero American'....
So then, when do people stop being entirely the products of their ancestors, and start being the country of their birth? Also, how does one reconcile being half Irish, half German, a quarter Russian, and quarter Puerto Rican, with being so strongly "USA" when it comes to patriotism?


2 Comments:
Know what you mean. St. Pattie's day is a bar sell-out. I saw many-a-wanker wearing an oversized Guiness hat over the weekend. None of them Irish, I imagine. Mind you, not sure how people could really celebrate the festivities of St. George's. "Another Tetley tea, my boy?" perhaps.
Anyway, in response to the main blog issue, I'd keep being American secret, too. You can't blame certain (thick) people for being stupid enough not to realise that the obvious clues are there. I'm heading to the States for the first time in about 10 days. Can't say you're making me feel incredibly excited about the trip.
One of the pubs near me was offering St George's day celebrations consisting of.
1) English breakfast whilst watching the 1966 World Cup Final.
2) Elevenses accompanied by watching the Dambusters.
3) A 'Union Jack' roast dinner
4) Drinking to the delights of 'British' karaoke.
I wonder if you have to show your BNP membership card to get in and whether you can sign up on the door.
Post a Comment
<< Home